Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Feast

            Your gangly arms reach for me, but I shrink in disgust. It isn’t really happening, we aren’t really here, but I shrink nonetheless. Your voice grates away at my ears and your eyes, that part of you that was the only part I really loved, are empty and dark.
            And yet, I’m not the person I wanted to be either. These limbs that were once filled with forest fires have trouble making it up the stairs. My greedy mouth reaches for $15 cupcakes and I hear the rough slap of my thighs when I walk. The mornings when I woke up excited to see the rest of the day have long gone. Was I really ever brave enough to walk through the most dangerous parts of town at midnight, arms extended for what I knew would probably just be more cold air?
            And once I’ve decided that no, I wasn’t ever that woman, no, you two, my lovers, were figments of my diseased brain, I feel your ghostly fingers sneak around my waist. There is no giving you up or going back, not anymore. We all sway together as the ravenous wind clips my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment